Mini Red Velvet Cheesecakes
First picture posted is the original from Betty Crocker, the following two pics are of my own cupcakes that I baked 2/11/11
24thin chocolate wafer cookies (9ounce) package), crushed (1 1/4 cup)
3 Tbspbutter, melted
2 1/2 pkg(8 ounce each) plus 4 ounce cream cheese softened
1 cgranulated sugar
1/4 cunsweetened baking cocoa
2 Tbspred food color
1/2 cwhipping cream
1 Tbspgranulated or powdered sugar
·chocolate curls, if desired
How to Make Mini Red Velvet Cheesecakes
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place foil baking cup in each of 16 regular sized muffin cups. In small bowl, mix cookie crumbs and melted butter. Divide crumb mixture among cups. With back of spoon firmly press cookie crumbs in bottom of each foil cup. (if desired you can use a crumbled vanilla wafers too)
- In large bowl, beat cream cheese with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually beat in 1 cup granulated sugar and the cocoa until fluffy. Beat in vanilla and food color. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well blended. Divide batter evenly among baking cups (cups will be almost full)
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until centers are firm. Cool 15 minutes (cheesecake centers will sink while cooling). Refrigerate in baking cups at least 1 hour; cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour longer before serving.
- In chilled small bowl, beat whipping cream and sugar with electric mixer n high speed until stiff. Spoon whipped cream on chilled cheesecakes. Just before serving, garnish with chocolate curls. Cover and refrigerate any remaining cheesecakes.
- TIPS: Cheesecakes can be frozen beautifully. Wrap airtight and freeze up to 5 months. Thaw in the original wrapping in the fridge 2-4 hours.
- MAKING CURL: Place a bar or block of chocolate on waxed paper. Make curls by pressing firmly against the chocolate and pulling a vegetable peeler toward you in long, thin stokes. Small curls can be made by using the side of the chocolate bar. Transfer each curl carefully with a toothpick to a waxed paper-lined cookie sheet or directly onto cheesecake. OR, if you don't want to use or make curls..sprinkle with baking cocoa.
- These would also be a delicious chocolate cheesecake without putting in the red food color!!
- NOTE FROM LYNN: When making these I decided to use butter cookies in place of the chocolate wafers. Follow directions above for cookie crust using butter cookies instead, if desired.