Mini Eggs Cake Balls
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 recipe
- for: "my mom didn't like you anyway cupcake" recipe
- 1 box
- vanilla cake mix (prepare as directed on box)
- 1 - 200 g
- bag of cadbury's mini eggs
- erin bolgar modified her "mom's best ever icing" recipe
- 1/2 c
- butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp
- 4 tsp
- hot water
- 1 c
- icing or confectioners' sugar
How to Make Mini Eggs Cake Balls
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- 2Pour batter in the prepared baking and bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean or with only a couple crumbs attached.
- 3Set aside and let cool completely.
- 4Meanwhile make the chocolate icing and crush up a 200 g. bag of Cadbury's Mini Eggs (small and medium pieces, you want them small enough to roll but big enough to be able to taste them). Reserve some of the crushed Mini Eggs for sprinkling.
- 5If using the vanilla recipe you can skip the chocolate icing and just crush up the mini eggs.
- 6Cream together the butter and cocoa. Gradually add the hot water and icing sugar, alternating until the texture is smooth and creamy. Stir in the crushe mini eggs.
- 7Stir in the icing and mix thoroughly, don't be afraid to get your hands dirty!! This is a fantastic emotional baking recipe!! The mixture should be moist enough to form a ball but not too gooey.
- 8Form the mixture into 1-inch balls and place on a lined cookie sheet. Cool in fridge completely (few hours) before you dip them in chocolate. You can also freeze them. They will fall apart when dipped if not cool enough.
- 9In a small saucepan or using a small double boiler, melt chocolate. You need enough chocolate to dip all the cake balls. "I used appx. 300 grams of dark chocolate." You can dip the cake balls in stages and melt the chocolate in batches, it thickens as it cools so it is easier to do the dipping in batches. Merckens chocolate melting wafers work really well and come in an array of colours for Easter.
- 10***Erin Bogar's last notes***
Get crafty with the chocolate and colours you use!
Dip the cake balls in the cocolate. I used two forks to dip the balls and let the extra chocolate drip off. Place back on the cookie shee and sprinkle with some crushed Mini Eggs.
Let set and leave in a cool dry place. I get a lot of sunlight in my condo so I need to deep them in the fridge. This works as well but when you remove them the chocolate will sweat a little but as we know my family ain't picky so they eat 'em!!!
Cake balls will keep for 2-4 days or if they are around my brother about 5 minutes!