Mile-High Chocolate Cake1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1/2 cwater, hot
2 tspbaking soda
1/2 cvegetable shortening
2 tspvanilla extract
2 1/2 cflour, sifted
1 ozbaking chocolate
1 lbpowdered sugar, well sifted
1 largeegg white
1 tspvanilla extract
1 tsplemon juice
How to Make Mile-High Chocolate Cake
- Combine cocoa, hot water and baking soda in a small bowl; let stand while mixing other ingredients.
- Cream the shortening and sugar together in a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, until light and fluffy; add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla and cocoa mixture; add flour alternately with the buttermilk to creamed mixture beating well after each addition.
- Pour batter into 3 greased and wax paper lined 8-inch round cake pans.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes or until cakes test done; cool in pans on racks for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans; cool completely on racks.
- To assemble cake, place one cake layer on serving plate; spread with Cocoa Icing.
- Top with second cake layer and spread a layer of frosting; top with third cake layer and frost sides and top with remaining frosting.
- COCOA ICING: Combine butter and chocolate in the top of a double boiler.
- Place over hot water; stir until melted.
- Remove from heat; cool to room temperature.
- Sift confectioners' sugar into a large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the center and add egg white, vanilla and lemon juice; pour in the chocolate mixture.
- Blend until smooth, using an electric mixer set at medium speed.
- Add milk to make frosting of a spreading consistency.