★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2 large
- egg whites at room temp
- 1 tsp
- flavored extracts(of choice)
- 1/4 c
- 1/2 c
- 1 pinch
- 1 tsp
- powdered food coloring(optional)
How to Make Merengue Icing
- 1Place the egg whites with the extract in the clean bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk the water and sugar together in a small, high-sided saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook for four to eight minutes, or until the syrup reaches 234°F on a candy thermometer.
- 2While the sugar syrup is boiling, whip the egg whites on low speed until they form foamy peaks. When the syrup has reached the correct temperature, slowly drizzle it into the egg whites, turning the speed to medium-high as you do so. Continue to whip until the egg whites form stiff, glossy peaks.
- 3Beat in the salt and food coloring powder until the mixture is an even, consistent shade.
Fill a piping bag and frost. If desired, toast the top of the meringue with a kitchen torch.