MAPLE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE
Recipe & Photo: BH&G.com
- 8 Tbsp
- (1 stick) butter
- 1 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 tsp
- 3/4 c
- pure maple syrup
- 1/4 c
- finely chopped candied ginger
- 2 small
- apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch thick rings
- 1 c
- maple sugar
- 1/2 c
- recipe maple whipped cream - or - 1 cup creme fraiche
- pure maple syrup optional
How to Make MAPLE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE
- 1Separate eggs. Allow yolks, whites, and 4 Tbsp. of the butter to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a bowl sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- 2In a 9- or 10-inch cast iron or other oven-going skillet melt the remaining 4 Tbsp. butter. Add the 3/4 cup maple syrup; simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in ginger. Arrange apple rings in the skillet.
- 3In a large bowl combine 1/2 cup of the maple sugar, the egg yolks, and the 4 Tbsp. softened butter. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium until light and fluffy. Alternately add flour mixture and milk, beating after each addition.
- 4Wash beaters. In another medium bowl beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium to high until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight); beat in the remaining 1/2 cup maple sugar. Stir about one-third of the egg white mixture into the batter. Fold in the remaining egg white mixture. Spread batter evenly over apples.
- 5Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in skillet on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert onto serving plate. Serve warm with Maple Whipped Cream. If desired, drizzle with additional maple syrup.
- 6Maple Whipped Cream: In a chilled medium mixing bowl combine 2 cups whipping cream and 1/4 cup pure maple syrup. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high until soft peaks form (tips curl).