1 1/4 cpure maple syrup (amber or grade b)
3/4 cheavy cream
2 tspcider vinegar
6 Tbspunsalted butter, softened (3 ounces)
1 ccake flour (not self-rising)
1 tspbaking powder
How to Make Maple Pudding Cake (Pouding Chômeur)
- Put oven rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 350F.
- Stir together maple syrup, heavy cream, cider vinegar, and pinch of salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, then remove from heat.
- Beat together butter and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Add egg and vanilla, then beat until just combined (batter will be very thick).
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together into egg mixture and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Pour 1/3 cup syrup mixture into baking dish.
- Divide batter in bowl into 6 mounds with rubber spatula and spoon each mound onto syrup mixture in baking dish, spacing mounds evenly.
- Pour remaining syrup mixture over and around mounds.
- Bake until topping is golden and firm to the touch, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve warm, with creme fraiche or sour cream if desired.