Maple Bacon Cake
Now that I have made it once, everyone wants it for their birthday!
Future plans: try making it pineapple upside down variety, with bacon of course!
- 1 lb
- maple bacon (not maplewood smoked)
- 1 box
- butter yellow recipe cake mix
- 2/3 c
- 1 1/2 stick
- 1/2 c
- brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 c
- maple syrup
- 1 stick
- 1 1/2 c
- confectioners' sugar (or more for spreadable consistency)
- 1/8 c
- maple syrup (or 1/2 tsp. maple flavor)
How to Make Maple Bacon Cake
- 1Cut bacon into 1 inch pieces, cook over med-low heat in skillet - don't make it "crunchy" by cooking too much! Cool on paper towels to absorb excess grease.
- 2PREHEAT OVER TO 350*, Butter and flour two 9" round cake pans.
Make the cake according to directions on box, using the 3 eggs, 2/3 cup water, and one stick of softened butter.
- 3Coarsely mix in half a stick of softened butter with the brown sugar, and sprinkle evenly on the bottom of the cake pans keeping away from the edge about a half inch. Drizzle the syrup over the sugar. Divide the batter among the two pans, pouring over the syrup/sugar mix. Bake for 23-25 minutes, check for doneness with toothpick.
- 4Cool in pan for 10 minutes (no more!)and invert cakes out of pan carefully onto plates to cool completely.
- 5Take about 2/3 of the cooled bacon and dice VERY fine.
- 6FROSTING: Beat one stick butter til creamy, add confectioners sugar one half cup at a time. Add the syrup, being aware of the consistency.
frost the gooey side of one cake, sprinkle with the finely diced bacon, top with other cake gooey side DOWN on the bacon. Frost the entire cake and top with remaining 1/3 of the bacon pieces.