Lime and Coconut Cake
1zest of lime minced
1tablespoon lime juice
3bananas very ripe, mashed
3/4 cunsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cgranulated sugar
2 call-purpose flour
1/2 tspbaking soda
2/3 cshredded coconut
8 ozpackage cream cheese, reduced fat, sofened
1 cpowdered sugar, sifted
1 ccoconut shredded
How to Make Lime and Coconut Cake
- FOR THE CAKE: Preheat oven to 350 degrees, then grease a 9-inch springform pan & line it with parchment paper
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, zest, lime juice, buttermilk & mashed bananas, then whisk together until well combined. Set aside
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together the butter & sugar until light & fluffy
- Add banana mixture & beat on low until combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour & baking soda, then add this to the banana/buttermilk mixture, whisking until well combined
- With a large metal spoon, gently fold in coconut untl just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared springform pan & bake for 50 minutes or until golden & a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove the springform sides before transferring the cake to a wire rack to cool completely
- Meanwhile, in a pan over medium heat, toast the remaining cup of shredded coconut, stirring constantly, until golden in color, then remove from the heat
- FOR THE ICING: In a bowl & using an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese & powdered sugar, & beat until smooth
- Spread over the cake, then sprinkle with the toasted coconut before slicing & serving