How to Make Lemon Yum
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees and put rack on middle setting in oven.
- 2Fill kettle and put water on to boil. You'll need this when you bake the dessert.
- 3Grease a 4-cup baking dish, eg Pyrex. Set aside.
- 4Grate zest from 2 lemons, then juice them and throw away the pits. Combine zest and juice and set aside.
- 5Separate egg yolks and whites into two bowls.
- 6Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the yolks one at a time to butter mixture and mix well. Slowly add lemon juice and mix well. (It may not look very nice at this stage, but don't worry.)
- 7Sift together flour, salt and baking powder. Add flour to butter mixture alternating with milk. Beat well until mixture is smooth.
- 8Beat egg whites to form soft peaks. Gently fold into batter. Do not overwork because you want to keep as much air in mixture as possible. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- 9Place baking dish into a larger pan or dish. Carefully pour boiling water into the pan around the outside of the baking dish until it is about halfway up the outside of the baking dish (ie make a Bain-Marie).
- 10Bake 40-45 minutes until top is puffy and lightly browned. Cool 10 minutes. Dust with icing sugar and serve warm.