Lemon Scented Daffodil Cake
1 1/2 c(11 or 12 large) egg whites
1 csifted cake flour (sift before measuring)
1 1/2 cgranulated sugar divided
1 1/2 tspcream of tartar
6 largeegg yolks
1 1/2 tspfinely shredded lemon zest (yello portion of peel)
Frosting1/2 cup (1stick) butter at room temperature
5 1/2 csifted powdered sugar (sift before measuring)
1/2 tspfinely shredded lemon zest (yellow portion of peel) plus more for optional garnish
1/3 clemon juice or as needed
How to Make Lemon Scented Daffodil Cake
- To Prepare Cake: Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 min. in a very large mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile sift together cake flour and 3/4 cup sugar; repeat twice. Set aside. preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add vanilla, cream of tartar and salt to egg whites. Beat with electric mixer on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).
- Gradually add remaining 3/4 cup sugar 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips Stand straight). sift 1/4 cup cup of the flour mixture over white mixture; fold in gently.
- Repeat with remaining flour mixture using 1/4 of the flour mixture, using 1/4 of the flour mixture each time. Transfer half of the batter to another bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 6 minutes or thick and lemon colored. Fold in lemon zest.
- Gently fold into half of the egg white mixture. Alternately spoon yellow batter and white batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, swirl metal spatula through batters to marble.
- Bake on the lowest oven rack for 40-45 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake in pan; let cool completely. Loosen sides of cake from pan; remove pan place cake upside down on plate.
- To prepare frosting: Beat butter with an electric mixer till light. Beat in powdered sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice, adding additional lemon juice if necessary to achieve spreading consistency. Frost Cake. To garnish sprinkle top with lemon zest . Final note Recipe doesn't specifically say how long it take to put together I just did an about figure.