Lemon Scented Daffodil Cake
- 1 1/2 c
- (11 or 12 large) egg whites
- 1 c
- sifted cake flour (sift before measuring)
- 1 1/2 c
- granulated sugar divided
- 2 tsp
- 1 1/2 tsp
- cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp
- 6 large
- egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tsp
- finely shredded lemon zest (yello portion of peel)
- 1/2 cup (1stick) butter at room temperature
- 5 1/2 c
- sifted powdered sugar (sift before measuring)
- 1/2 tsp
- finely shredded lemon zest (yellow portion of peel) plus more for optional garnish
- 1/3 c
- lemon juice or as needed
How to Make Lemon Scented Daffodil Cake
- 1To Prepare Cake: Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 min. in a very large mixing bowl.
- 2Meanwhile sift together cake flour and 3/4 cup sugar; repeat twice. Set aside. preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3Add vanilla, cream of tartar and salt to egg whites. Beat with electric mixer on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).
- 4Gradually add remaining 3/4 cup sugar 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips Stand straight). sift 1/4 cup cup of the flour mixture over white mixture; fold in gently.
- 5Repeat with remaining flour mixture using 1/4 of the flour mixture, using 1/4 of the flour mixture each time. Transfer half of the batter to another bowl.
- 6In a small mixing bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 6 minutes or thick and lemon colored. Fold in lemon zest.
- 7Gently fold into half of the egg white mixture. Alternately spoon yellow batter and white batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, swirl metal spatula through batters to marble.
- 8Bake on the lowest oven rack for 40-45 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake in pan; let cool completely. Loosen sides of cake from pan; remove pan place cake upside down on plate.
- 9To prepare frosting: Beat butter with an electric mixer till light. Beat in powdered sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice, adding additional lemon juice if necessary to achieve spreading consistency. Frost Cake. To garnish sprinkle top with lemon zest . Final note Recipe doesn't specifically say how long it take to put together I just did an about figure.