Lemon Glazed Magdalenas (Spanish Cupcakes)
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 cupgranulated sugar - divided (3/4 cup + 1/4 cup)
1/2 cupunsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 largelemon, zested
1 2/3 cupsall-purpose flour
1 Tbspbaking powder
1-2 Tbspfresh lemon juice (squeezed from the lemon after zesting it)
1 cupconfections' sugar
How to Make Lemon Glazed Magdalenas (Spanish Cupcakes)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (200°C). Line 18 cups of a standard size muffin pan with paper cupcake liners; set aside. Set 1/4 cup sugar aside (for a later step).
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs with remaining 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- While beating the egg mixture, slowly pour in melted butter, mixing thoroughly. Stir in the lemon zest and cream.
- In a separate bowl, stir baking powder into the flour.
- Stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture, continuing to stir until ingredients are thoroughly mixed. That batter will be very thick.
- Using a large serving spoon, spoon batter into the paper cupcake liners, filling about half-way full (they will rise to almost doubled in size when baked). Returning to the 1/4 cup reserved sugar, use a small spoon to lightly sprinkle the tops of each cake with a bit of sugar.
- Place muffin pan in the middle rack of preheated oven, and bake 18 to 20 minutes or until the tops are a light golden color. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes in pan, then cool completely on a wire rack.
- While cooling, prepare the lemon glaze by stirring 1 tablespoon lemon juice into the powdered sugar, stirring until smooth. Add more lemon juice if needed, 1/2 tablespoon at a time, until it reaches proper consistency. The glaze should be slightly thick but not lumpy. Dip the tops of each Magdalena into the lemon glaze and set aside to allow the glaze to set.