·1 3/4 cup sugar, divided
·1 cup butter
·2 large eggs
·2 tsp. vanilla extract
·2 1/2 cups flour
·1 tsp. baking powder
·1/2 tsp. salt
·1 tsp. baking soda
·1 cup buttermilk
·grated peel and juice of 3 lemons
·2 tbsp. poppy seeds
How to Make Lemon Cake
- Preheat oven to 350
- In mixing bowl, cream 1 cup sugar and butter. Blend in eggs sand vanilla.
- In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Stir into batter
- Stir baking soda into buttermilk and add to batter.
- Fold in grated lemon peel and poppy seeds,.
- Pour batter into a greased Bundt pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or til cake is golden brown and has a crevice in the middle
- Meanwhile, mix lemon juice (about 1 cup) and 3/4 cup sugar in pan and simmer over low heat til sugar dissolves.
- When cake is done, let stand for 5 minutes, then drizzle sweetened lemon juice slowly over the top til it’s all absorbed. Makes 10 servings.