Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes
- 1 box
- lemon cake mix (i use super moist)
- 2 c
- fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3/4 c
- 1/3 c
- vegtable oil
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon extract (or lemon zest if you prefer)
- 2 large
- 3 oz
- whipped cream cheese(or cream cheese softened)
- 2 1/2 c
- powdered sugar
- 3/4 c
- unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp
- lemon extract(or lemon zest if you prefer)
- 1/8 tsp
- 2 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp
- regular milk (i use almond milk) add more by tbsp as needed to thicken your icing
- 1 c
- blueberries & lemon zest for garnish(optional)
FROSTING & GARNISH
How to Make Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes
- 1Heat oven to 375°F for shiny metal pans (or 350°F for dark or nonstick pans). Place liners in 24 muffin cups.
- 2In small bowl, gently toss 2 tablespoons of the dry cake mix with 2 cups blueberries to coat; set aside. (This keeps the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the mixture helps them to mix more evenly into your cupcakes)
- 3In large bowl, beat remaining cake mix, water, oil, lemon extract, eggs and cream cheese with electric mixer until smooth about 2 minutes. Fold the blueberry mixture into batter. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups(about 2/3 full).
- 4Bake 18 to 22 minutes until tops are light golden brown or toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool about 5 minutes then remove from pan to wire rack and allow to cool completely before icing, about 1 hour.
- 5For Icing: In medium bowl beat powdered sugar, unsalted butter, 1 teaspoon lemon extract, the salt, vanilla and 1 tablespoon milk on high speed about 4 minutes or until smooth and well blended, add more milk by teaspoonfuls if needed. Then frost your cupcakes. Garnish with blueberries and lemon peel for a lovely fancy look. If you make the icing ahead of time store in airtight container at room temperature to keep from hardening.