Lemon Blueberry bread
Joanne Cavallone Corse
1 1/2 call-purpose flour
1 tspbaking powder
6 Tbspunsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cgranulated white sugar
1/2 tsppure vanilla extract
1 Tbspgrated lemon zest (outer yellow skin of the lemon)
1 cfresh blueberries
1/4 cgranulated white sugar
2 Tbspfresh lemon juice
How to Make Lemon Blueberry bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C)and place the oven rack in the center of the oven. Butter (or spray with a non stick vegetable spray) the bottom and sides of a loaf pan (9x5x3 inch) (23x13x8).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until softened (about 1 minute). Add the sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla extract and lemon zest. With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture (in three additions) and milk (in two additions) alternately starting and ending with the flour. Mix only until combined. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 55 to 65 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the 1/4 cup of sugar and the 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- When the bread is done, remove from oven and place on a wire rack. Pierce the hot loaf all over with a wooden skewer or toothpick and then brush the top of the loaf with the hot lemon glaze. Cool the loaf in the pan for about 30 minutes then remove from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack. This bread is best served on the day it is made.
Makes 1 loaf