Lauri’s version of Boston Cream Cake
3 ccake flour (not self-rising)
1 1/2 Tbspbaking powder
1 tspteaspoon baking soda
1/2 tspteaspoon salt
3/4 c(1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1 1/2 cwhite sugar
3 largeeggs, at room temperature
2 tsppure vanilla extract
1 1/2 ccups buttermilk or sour milk
VANILLA CUSTARD PASTRY CREAM RECIPE
2 cwhole milk
4 largeegg yolks
1/2 cwhite sugar
1/3 call-purpose flour, sifted
2 tsppure vanilla extract
CHOCOLATE GANACHE ICING RECIPE
2squares unsweetened chocolate
1 cconfectioner’s sugar
3/4 tspvanilla extract
2 Tbsphot water
How to Make Lauri’s version of Boston Cream Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans with shortening. Likewise, spray or butter and flour one 9 X 13 - inch baking pan, or prepare 24-30 cupcake tins with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Using an electric stand mixer or a hand held mixer, cream butter and sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy. Scrape down bowl.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add vanilla and scrape once more.
- Add flour mixture 1 cup at a time,alternating with buttermilk until all is combined. Do not over mix batter, just enough to remove all lumps.
- Pour yellow cake batter into prepared pans and rap the pans on the counter a few times to remove air bubbles.
- Bake round cake layers at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes, 9 X 13 inch pan for 35 - 45 minutes, or until a pick comes out clean. Bake cupcakes for approximately 20 - 25 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool 9 X 13 - inch cake and cupcakes completely on wire racks before frosting or freezing. Cool round layers 10 minutes before loosening, then carefully turn out yellow cake layers onto a sugar dusted piece of parchment paper, and allow to finish cooling on the wire rack.
- Fill and frost yellow cake layers with white buttercream frosting or chocolate icing. If using a chocolate ganache recipe which I have done please look below for that version.
- Makes one 9 inch double layer cake that serves 12-14, one 9 X 13 inch yellow cake that serves 15-20, or 24-30 yellow cupcakes.
- Vanilla Custard Pastry Cream Recipe
- Scald milk, being careful not to boil, set aside while whipping the yolks and sugar.
- In a medium size bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar together with mixer until pale and thick.
- Add white flour and continue whisking.
- Very slowly, beat hot milk into eggs being careful not to curdle. Pour back into pan and cook until thick, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil then turn heat to low.
- Cook on low for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in butter and vanilla.
- Turn off heat. Let cool, placing plastic wrap on top and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- Makes plenty to fill a Boston Cream Pie. Or you may use a Bismark tip to fill 24 cupcakes.
- How To Make Chocolate Ganache
- Over low heat, heat the chocolate & butter until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the confectioner’s sugar and vanilla.
- Stir in the water 1 tsp. at a time until the glaze is of desired consistency.
- Chill to spread or pipe. The chocolate ganache will firm up the cooler or spread onto cake and smooth over the sides.