- 1/2 c
- unsalted butter, softened
- 7 Tbsp
- 2 large
- 3/4 c
- self-rising cake flour
- 1/2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tbsp
- 1-2 tsp
- lemmon or orange zest, optional.
- 3 c
- + 2tbl. sugar
- 1 c
- 1 c
- egg whites
- 1 1/2 lb
- (6sticks) butter, softened
- 2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1 pkg
- mimi multi-colored marshmallows
- 1-2 Tbsp
- cake sprinkles
- 1 bottle
- for each color you want sugar sprinkles
How to Make Lady cakes
- 1FOR THE LADY CAKES.
Preheat oven to 400*F
- 2fill a 12 cup cupcake pan with cupcake papers
- 3Place all of the lady cake ingreadients except for the milk in a food processor and blend till smooth
- 4Pulse while adding the milk down the funnel untill it forms a soft dropping consistency.
- 5Divide batter evenly between the 12 cupcake cups. It will look like there is not enough but there is.
- 6Put in the oven for 15-20 minutes, till cooked and just a little golden on top.
- 7Remove from pan as soon as cool enough to do so and set on wire rack to cool completely.
- 8FOR MARSHMALLOW BUTTERCREAM
Mix 3 cups sugar with 1 cup water in a small, heavy bottom saucepan. Cook over high heat until syrup reaches 248 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- 9While syrup is cooking, beat egg whites with the 2 remaining tablespoons of sugar until stiff but not dry. Extra- fine granulated sugar works best but is not needed. Turn mixer off until sugar and water syrup has reach right temp.
- 10With mixer running on medium speed, pour syrup into the egg whites in a thin, steady stream, making sure not to pour directly onto beaters. Continue to beat mixture until it is no longer hot, turn off mixer and then allow to cool to room temperature.
- 11When room temperature beat in the softened butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it is all incorporated. (Salted butter works fine. If you are using unsalted butter, add 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste.) The mixture will become thin and may look curdled at first, but will then become smooth as it beats. Now beat in the vanilla.
- 12If not using at once, refrigerate the buttercream until needed. It will keep for 1 week in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator. To use, just bring it back to room temperature and re-beat to restore the texture. If you have trouble with the texture, getting it to room temperature and extra beating are the keys to making it smooth. in this recipe the egg whites are cooked by the high heat of the sugar syrup so are safe to eat.
- 13FOR THE DECORATION
Place each different color of sugar sprinkles in its own larg ziplock bag.
- 14seperate marshmallows into colors and then with kitchen shears cut them in half on an angle, making "petals" putting them in bag with sugar sprinkles. when you have finneshe a color zip up bad and shake so that the sugar will stick to all of the cut/sticky parts of the marshmallows. Repeat for all colors.
- 15Spread a few tablespoons of frosing on cupcake and then starting with the outer edge place petals in circle rows till the whole cupcake top is filled, then sprinkle a few cake sprinkles in the center. Done! You can make the flowers all one color like I did in the picture or you can mix them up. I have done this too and it also looks nice.