"Kicked" in the Mud Cupcakes
I start with a cake mix which makes it super simple and end with a homemade "adults only" buttercream icing. You could always make them without the liquor using water in the cake mix and milk in the icing but why bother? Serve them at your next adult dinner to those guests who like to imbibe.
I'm making them for Father's Day this year for the men in our lives to enjoy.
- 1 box
- devil's food cake mix
- 3 large
- 1/2 c
- canola oil
- 2 Tbsp
- sour cream
- 1/4 c
- 1/2 c
- khalua liquor
- 1/2 c
- 6 Tbsp
- butter, softened
- 3 Tbsp
- 4 Tbsp
- milk or half n' half
- 1-2 Tbsp
- bourbon (depending on taste)
- 1 Tbsp
- 1/8 c
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 c
- powdered sugar
- optional crushed cookies, candy, nuts, marshmallows or melted chocolate.
CHOCOLATE BOURBON BUTTERCREAM ICING
How to Make "Kicked" in the Mud Cupcakes
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 cupcake pans with paper or foil liners. I usually get 20 out of this mixture.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, add cake mix, eggs, sour cream, oil, water, bourbon and khalua.
Mix together on low for 30 seconds with electric mixer. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes.
- 3Spoon cake mix into cupcake liners about 3/4 of the way full.
Bake for 20 minutes or until cakes test done with toothpick. Remove to cooling rack until completely cooled.
- 4Prepare the icing. In a mixing bowl or bowl of your electric kitchen mixer, cream together butter and shortening until fluffy. Add in liquors and mix well. Mix in the cocoa powder. Beat in the sugar and milk a little at a time until all combined. Beat on high speed for 3-4 minutes until fluffy and slightly glossy.
- 5Place frosting into a piping bag with desired frosting tip. Pipe icing onto cupcakes in a swirled pattern. If you don't have a piping bag with tip, use a knife or frosting spatula to frost the cupcakes.
- 6Decorate as desired. I used crushed chocolate cookies on the cupcakes in the picture. You can also melt and drizzle chocolate on top of the icing or add nuts, chopped candy bars or marshmallow.
- 7Enjoy these carefully!