- 1 c
- 1 stick
- unsalted butter +3 tbsp
- 1 c
- powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 c
- all purpose flour + 3 tbsp
- 1/2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 large
- 1 pinch
- 1/2 c
- milk, whole
- 3/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 5 large
- eggs, separated into yolks and whites
- 3 1/2 c
- quark (german soft cheese)
- 1 c
- heavy whipping cream
- vanilla bean (seeds)
- 1 c
- 1/2 tsp
- lemon zest, grated
- 4 c
- buttermilk cultured (organic)
- 1/4 c
- skim milk (organic)
- kosher salt to taste
- glass baking dish
- kitchen towel, linen or cheesecloth
- strainer or colander
- lid or tinfoil
FIND QUARK IN GOURMET CHEESE SECTION OF GROCERY STORE OR RECIPE BELOW
GERMAN QUARK (SOFT CHEESE) MAKE RECIPE (X)-3 AND MEASURE AMOUNT NEEDED
How to Make Käsekuchen (Cheesecake)
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F (162°C). Quark Cheese recipe 2 days before.....
Grease a Spring form pan (26cm size).
- 2Combine all the ingredients for the crust. Cover the bottom and 2/3rds up the side of the Spring form pan with the dough. Set aside in a cool place.
- 3Beat egg whites until peaks form. While beating sprinkle in 1/4 cup sugar.
Beat cream until peaks form.
- 4Combine 3/4 cup sugar, milk, and flour. Mix until smooth. Add egg yolks, Quark, seeds of the Vanilla Bean, and lemon zest. Mix until combined. Gradually and gently fold in the whipped cream. Gradually and gently fold in the egg whites.
- 5Pour filling into the prepared pan. Bake cake for about 70 minutes.
- 6Remove from heat and allow cake to cool in the pan. Once cooled, refrigerate cake until chilled. Before serving, dust top of cake with powdered sugar (OPT).
- 7German Quark (soft Cheese) recipe X-3 measure amount needed
Set oven to 150F. Pour buttermilk into the baking dish and cover with a lid or tinfoil. If the lid is plastic or rubber, make sure it’s dishwasher safe – if so, it should be fine at 150 degrees in the oven. Place the dish in the oven and let it sit overnight, or about 8-12 hours.
- 8In the morning, remove the dish from the oven. Place the strainer in the sink or a large pot and line it with the linen. Spoon or pour the contents of the baking dish into the strainer. You’ll notice that the curd (solid) has partially separated from the whey (liquid). Cover the cheese with the ends of the cloth and let it drain in the sink for 30-60 minutes. To speed up the process, fill a bowl or sealed container with water and place on top to weigh it down. 30 min...........
- 9Dump the contents into a bowl and refrigerate. Once chilled, add milk 2T at a time until it is smooth and easy to spread with a texture similar to creamy ricotta cheese. Add salt to taste. Makes 8oz or about 1 to 1-1/2 cups. X-3 measure amount needed......................................