John Deere Tractor Cake
19 x 13 baked yellow cake
2 1/2 ca good buttercream frosting
1batch of marshmallow fondant
1 can(s)wilton chocolate fudge frosting
1batch of wilton's decorators icing
1/2 cchocolate cookie crumbs
·food coloring (gel)
How to Make John Deere Tractor Cake
- After allowing the cake to cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, I removed it from the pan. When it was cooled completely. I frosted it with the buttercream.
- Add enough black food coloring to the Wilton's Chocolate Fudge Icing to achieve a black color for the tires.
- Divide the fondant in half. Save 1/2 for another use wrapped tightly & store in the fridge.
Divide the Wilton's Decorator Icing in half. Color half yellow & the remaining green. Add enough water or milk to make it a medium consistency.
- Take just a very small amount (1/4 cup) and color it red - for the lights and gas cap.
- Take 1/2 to color brown for the cab,top stacks and side panels.
- Use the rest to color kelly green for the body of the tractor.
- Have on hand 2 copies of the tractor. Use one of the pictures to cut apart the tires, cab and top stacks. Use the other copy as your reference guide.
- I rolled out the green fondant first and used the pattern I had cut from one of the copies of the tractor. Then press the fondant into the frosting.
- Follow the same procedure with the cab & top stacks with the brown fondant.
- Apply the red fondant cut-outs with just a drop of water to the green fondant of the tractor.
- Cut out the center of the tire that is yellow & place on the frosting. Use a toothpick to trace around for your guide to pipe in the yellow frosting. Then pipe the yellow frosting inside the circle you drew. I just used tip # 18.
- Put the larger part of the tire back on the frosting using your picture as a guide & mark the edge with a toothpick. Pipe the black frosting to cover inside the circle you drew and outside from the yellow rim. Place a small dot of black on the hub of the axle.
- Write whatever you want on the cake, I used tip #3 for my Birthday wishes.
- Pipe a bottom border using the green frosting, I used tip #86.
- Pipe the top border using the yellow frosting, I used tip #67.
- Enjoy !! It is very tedious and does take a steady hand - I hope you give it a try.