- 1/3 c softened butter
- 1/2 c splenda blend
- 1 egg beaten
- 1t vanilla
- 1 c milk or buttermilk ( i use buttermilk but no big deal)
- 2 c flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (yes, 1tablespoon)
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 3 1/2 c frozen or fresh fruit of choice, thawed and drained
- 1/2c packed splenda brown sugar blend
- 1/4 c melted butter
- 2 t cinnamon
- 1/2 c finely chopped walnuts or pecans
How to Make Jane's Grand Prize Winning Great Spring Rhubarb Coffee Cake for Diabetics!
- 1In large bowl, combine butter and splenda blend. Beat until fluffy. Add egg, vanilla and milk. Beat thoroughly.
- 2In another bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add splenda blend mixture to dry ingredients. Stir until mixed well.
- 3Pour in a 9x13 greased pan. Spoon fruit evenly, within 1/2 inch from edges. Combine topping ingredients and evenly layer over fruit.
- 4Bake uncovered in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45-50 minutes until the toothpick comes out clean. Let cool before serving.
- 5WHEN USING FRESH RHUBARB: To tenderize it just put it in a saucepan with a little water and simmer it until it's just nicely pierced with fork. Do not sweeten it because the brown sugar topping will do that. I usually use frozen rhubarb that is room temp, but will use fresh in season. I'm going to try to freeze the rhubarb this year.