Italian Liqueur Cake
- 1 box
- yellow cake mix w/pudding
- 1 pkg
- unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 c
- cold water
- 3/4 c
- 2 Tbsp
- corn starch
- 2 c
- eggs, separated
- 1 ounce squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 1 or 2
- liqueurs, i.e. amaretto, grand marnier, etc
TOPPINGS: WHIPPED CREAM, SWEETENED, & CHOCOLATE SHAVINGS
How to Make Italian Liqueur Cake
- 1Cook cake in 2-9" round pans according to box directions. Cool completely. Pull string horizontally thru cake to make 4 layers.
- 2Sprinkle gelatin over water in small cup. Let soften 5 min. Beat 4 egg yolks in small bowl & set aside.
- 3Combine 1/2 c of the sugar, corn starch, & 1/4 c of the milk in small bowl & stir until smooth. Set aside.
- 4Heat remaining 1 3/4 c milk in saucepan until bubbles appear around edge. Remove from heat, stir in corn starch mixture until smooth. Cook on med heat & stir constantly until mixture thickens & bubbles. Cook 1 min more.
- 5Stir in a little of the hot milk mixture to the eggs. Stir egg yolk mixture back into milk mixture in saucepan. Cook the custard mixture 2 min, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in softened gelatin until dissolved.
- 6Melt chocolate in microwave & add to only 1 1/2 c of custard mixture--add vanilla. Refrigerate until thickens, a couple of hours.
Refrigerate vanilla custard until thick enough to spoon.
- 7Lay 1 layer of cake down, coat w/ half of chocolate mixture. Add 2nd layer; sprinkle generously w/liqueur & all of vanilla mixture. Add 3rd layer, sprinkle generously w/liqueur & remaining chocolate mixture. Add last layer, cover w/whipped cream & sprinkle w/chocolate shavings.
-Be liberal w/liqueurs or you won't taste it.
-Best made 1 day before serving for liqueur to soak in completely.
-Must be refrigerated and covered
-Set out app 1 hour before serving