Italian Lady Fingers SAVOIARDI
Annamaria Settanni McDonald
1 tsppure vanilla extract
1/2 tspbaking powder
1 call purpose flour
1-2 tsplemon or orange zest (optional)
·powdered sugar for sprinkling and dusting (optional)
How to Make Italian Lady Fingers SAVOIARDI
- Separate eggs into two separate bowls.
- Beat egg whites on high speed until foamy.
- Add two tablespoons of the 2/3 cup of sugar to the egg whites. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form, and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add vanilla and remainder of the sugar to the egg yolks and beat. Set aside
- Sift together the flour and baking powder. Fold half of the egg whites into the yolks also adding zest if you'd like.. Do it real gently.
- Fold the flour mixture into the yolks.
- Fold the rest of the egg whites into the yolks.
- Put the batter into a pastry bag. ( I use a a ziploc bag with the corner snipped off.)
- Pipe the batter onto parchment paper lined cookie sheets.
- Dust the piped dough with powdered sugar. (optional)
- Bake for about 6 minutes. Stay close because all you want is the edges to turn lightly brown.
- Dust with additional powdered sugar if you'd like.