ITALIAN CREAM CAKE (SALLYE)
This is a recipe you will want to save for a special holiday.
3 cshaved coconut
1 cfinely chopped pecans
1-1/2 cgranulated sugar
1/2 cfirmly packed dark brown sugar
5 largeeggs, separated
1 Tbspvanilla extract
2 call purpose flour
1 tspbaking soda
1 csweetened flaked coconut
CARAMEL FROSTING INGREDIENTS:
1 cfirmly packed light brown sugar
1 cfirmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cheavy cream
4 cpowdered sugar, sifted
2 tspvanilla extract
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING INGREDIENTS:
1/4 csoftened butter
8 ozsoftened cream cheese
2 cpowdered sugar, sifted
1 tspvanilla extract
How to Make ITALIAN CREAM CAKE (SALLYE)
- NOTE: IT IS MUCH MORE EFFICIENT IF YOU PERFORM ALL THESE TASKS BEFORE BEGINNING
Preheat oven to 350ºF
Grease and flour three each 9" cake pans, set aside
Sift flour and baking soda together, set aside
Separate whites and yolks of eggs into 2 different bowls, set aside
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper (one for pecans and one for coconut)
Finely chop pecans in food processor or by hand
- Place shaved coconut in a single layer on baking sheet
Place chopped pecans on second baking sheet
Bake coconut and pecans at the same time for 5 to 7 minutes until coconut is toasted and pecans are lightly toasted and fragrant
Stir once to expose all sides of coconut and pecans
Remove from oven and set aside
- Mix butter and shortening on medium speed with electric mixer until light and fluffy
Gradually add sugars (brown and granulated) to butter, beating well until creamy
- Add egg yolks one at a time, beating after each addition until blended
Continue beating while you add the vanilla
Turn off mixer temporarily
- Stir toasted pecans into flour mixture, reserving 1 tablespoon of pecans for garnish
- While beating butter mixture at low speed, add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately into butter mixture, ending with flour mixture.
Stir in one cup sweetened coconut
Turn off mixer and wash beaters thoroughly for next process. Make sure all grease is removed from beaters if you plan to re-use them.
You can use another mixer if available. (I have several sets of beaters for just this reason).
- Beat egg whites in large chilled mixing bowl at high speed until stiff peaks form.
Turn off mixer
Fold stiff egg whites into cake batter
Pour equal amounts of batter into each of the three greased and floured 9" round cake pans
- Bake at 350º for 23-25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes
Remove from pans onto wire rack to completely cool
- Prepare Caramel frosting (instruction below) and immediately spead between layers and on top of cake
Prepare Cream cheese frosting (instructions below) and spread over sides of cake
Press 3 cups of toasted shaved coconut onto sides of cake
Sprinkle reserved pecans over top of cake.
- CARAMEL FROSTING INSTRUCTIONS:
Place butter and brown sugar in heavy sauce pan over medium heat
Bring to rolling boil
Stir in heavy cream and bring back to boil
Remove from heat
Gradually beat in powdered sugar and vanilla at medium speed using whisk attachment on mixer
Beat until thickened (about 8 minutes) Do not overbeat or it will set up.
If frosting does set up (gets too hard to spread), thin out adding 1 teaspoon hot water at a time until desired spreading consistency is reached.
- BUTTER CREAM CHEESE FROSTING INSTRUCTIONS:
Beat butter and cream cheese on medium speed until mixture is creamy
Sift powdered sugar in another bowl, then begin adding it to butter/cheese mixture while continuing to beat at low speed with mixer until well blended.
Add vanilla and continue beating until vanilla is blended into frosting