1 tspbaking soda
1 tspvanilla extract
3 1/2 ozcoconut, flaked
1 cchopped pecans
8 ozcream cheese, softened
How to Make Italian Cream Cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cream butter and shortening; add sugar and beat until mixture is smooth.
- Add egg yolks one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Combine flour and soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Add coconut and chopped pecans.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 8 inch cake pans.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cake tests done.
- ICING: Blend cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and water, beating until smooth.
- Add vanilla and blend.
- Spread between layers and top and sides.
- Sprinkle top with pecans.
- NOTE: For more flavor and taste, coconut and pecans may be added between the layers.