ITALIAN CREAM CAKE
FOR TUBE CAKE: Use a 10-inch tube mold. Bake @ 350 degrees for 50-60 mins. & increase the amount of coconut to 2 cups. Use only 1/2 of the frosting recipe.
YOU NEED THREE (3) ROUND CAKE PANS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE.
★★★★★ 2 votes5
1/2 cbutter (1 stick)
2 csugar (can use splenda; i did)
2 ccake flour
3 1/2 ozcoconut
1/2 cshortenint (not liquid) i used crisco shortening
1 tsppure vanilla extract
1 tspbaking soda
1 cchopped nuts(walnuts or pecans)
8 ozcream cheese for the icing
1/4 cbutter (1/2 a stick) for the icing
1 lbconfectioners' sugar for the icing
1 tsppure vanilla extract for the icing
12whole walnuts or pecans to decorate top of cake
How to Make ITALIAN CREAM CAKE
- Using a mixer, in a large bowl, cream the butter and the shortening. Add the sugar and egg yolks and beat well.
- Add the cake flour and baking soda, alternating with the buttermilk until well blended.
- Stir in the vanilla extract, the nuts, and the coconut. Set aside.
- Whip up the egg whites until stiff peaks form. (DO NOT ADD ANY ADDITIONAL SUGAR.) Fold the meringue(that's what you've made) into the rest of the cake mixture. Blend well by hand.
- Pour itno 3 (THREE) greased 9 in. round cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 mins.
- TO MAKE THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- Beat the cream cheese and the butter. Add sugar and vanilla & mix well. The mixture should be smooth. Put in the refrigerate to stiffen it a bit.
- Once the cake is done(the top will be golden brown). Let the cakes cool completely before putting the first cake on the cake platter. I use a regular dinner plate. Spread the first layer of frosting. Add the second cake. Spread the frosting on it. Add the third cake. Frost the top and sides. Decorate w/whole walnuts or pecans. I didn't have any whole ones, so I chose the largest pieces and placed them around the top of the cake.