Italian Coconut Cream Cake Recipe
Blue Ribbon Recipe
What a sweet and satisfying treat! Whip this one up for your next bake sale or special occasion. The Test Kitchen
INGREDIENTS FOR CAKE:
1 stickbutter, room temperature
1/2 cshortening, crisco
5egg whites, stiffly beaten-like meringue
2 ccake flour
1 cpecan nuts, chopped
1 can(s)coconut, i usually use 1 bag complete coconut flakes
CREAMED CHEESE FROSTING:
8 ozpackaged cream cheese
1 boxpowered sugar (3 3/4 cups)
How to Make Italian Coconut Cream Cake Recipe
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour 9 inch pans.
- Cream butter and shortening:add sugar and beat mixture until smooth. Add egg yolks and beat well.
- Combine flour, soda and add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Stir in vanilla. Add coconut and nuts.*
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Do not over stir.
- Pour into three* greased and floured 9 inch pans. I usually only use two** round pans.
- Let Cake completely cool before you frost.
- Bake at 325 degrees until done.
- * Save small amount, approx 1/4 cup of coconut and enough pecans for decorating cake.
**If you use 2 pans, bake for approx. 35-40 minutes.
***If you use 3 pans, bake for 30 minutes.
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Beat Cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Add vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Spread between layers and on top of cake.
Sprinkle top with saved chopped pecans and coconut.