How to Make Italian Buttercream
- 1*All ingredients should be at room temperature before beginning.
Place the egg whites in a dry, grease-free mixer bowl. Have 9 ounces of the sugar nearby.
- 2Place 9 ounces of the sugar in a heavy saucepan with enough water to moisten. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 3As the sugar syrup's temperature approaches the soft ball stage (240°F.), begin whipping the egg whites. Watch the sugar closely so that the temperature doesn't exceed 240°F.
- 4When soft peaks form in the egg whites, gradually add the remaining 4 1/2 ounces of sugar to them. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and continue whipping the egg whites to stiff peaks.
- 5When the sugar syrup reaches the soft ball stage, immediately pour it into the whites while the mixer is running. Pour the syrup in a steady stream between the side of the bowl and the beater. If the syrup hits the beater, it will splatter and cause lumps. Continue beating at medium speed until the egg whites are completely cool. At this point, you have Italian meringue.
- 6Gradually add the softened butter to the Italian meringue and continue whipping until all of the butter is incorporated. Add flavoring, if desired.
- 7CHOCOLATE ITALIAN BUTTERCREAM
Add 1/4 oz vanilla extract to the buttercream, then stir in 5 oz of melted and cooled bittersweet chocolate.
LEMON ITALIAN BUTTERCREAM
Add 1 fl oz of lemon extract and 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest to the buttercream.
COFFEE ITALIAN BUTTERCREAM
Add 1 fl oz coffee extract or strong coffee to the buttercream.