Isegi Kook-Even Cake
This recipe I got from an old Estonian woman many years ago.
It's called an Isgi Kook (Even Cake), because all the main ingredients are the same. You can make it smaller just by reducting the amount of ingredients.
I measure it out all one day just to see what it was cup to cup for the fun of it, but I always come back to doing the same way she taught me.
Some traditions just have to be left alone :)
10organic eggs - separated
10 Tbspheaping-granulated sugar
1/2 tspbaking powder
1 pkgany flavor jello or glaze (our favorite is strawberry)
1 ptberries or canned mandarin oranges or bananas, or peaches, or apricots
1 ptwhipped cream, whipped with a little powdered sugar
How to Make Isegi Kook-Even Cake
- Beat the sugar and egg yolks until yellow cream in color.
- Add the water, baking powder and flour. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl will they form peaks, but are not dry. Turn your bowl slowly upside down and if it doesn't fall out..you have beaten them enough.
- Fold egg yolk mixture into egg whites a little at time. Untill all the egg yolk mixture is incorporated and you see NO yellow streaks.
- Pour into a Angel Food cake pan. (Do not grease or flour the pan).Bake at 350* for 30 minutes or until done. Do a cake test, by touching the top lighly. If it springs back it is done.
- Remove from oven and let cool a little. Run a knife around the edges.
- Prepare a cake pan that is the same size as you Angel Food pan. Mine is a 9 inch pan. Spray a little Pam on the bottom and on the insides. Or little oil.
- Make your jello and fill the cake pan to 1/4 full. Add your fruit to the jello and set in refrig to harden.
- When your cake is cold thoroughly..split down the middle so you have two round cake halves.
- When you jello is hard..run a little warm water on the sides and bottom to loosen the jello.
- Place the bottom half of cake on top of the jello and flip it all on to a serving plate. Add a fluffy layer of whipped cream
- Add the top of cake.
- Top the cake with whipped cream and berries or any fruit you have choosen.
- I let my mind go wild with this cake. I have made up to 6 layers with it using custard, jams, lemon curd, frostings, cream cheese, pie fillings and Solo filling. Just have fun with it and let you imagination fill layers.