Hungarian Nut Rolls
How to Make Hungarian Nut Rolls
- Mix flour, butter, salt and cream cheese until dough forms. Mix as little as possible so that the pastry is light and flaky when baked. Chill dough for an hour.
- In a large bowl, mix ground nuts, apple sauce, sugar and vanilla. Add a few dashes of cinnamon.
- Divide dough into 5 peices. Sprinkle powdered sugar onto rolling surface.Roll each peice of dough out to form a rectangle. Cut dough into little squares (3X3).
- Place 1 heaping teaspoon of filling in the center of square. Bring together opposite corners and pinch to seal. Place on a cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and store in an air tight container.
- These pastries freeze well.