Hot Chocolate Cupcakes with Peppermint Buttercream
Lauren's recipe from the blog "Crave. Indulge. Satisfy."
- 2 1/2 c
- 2 c
- 1 c
- cocoa powder
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 tsp
- baking soda
- 1 tsp
- packet hot chocolate mixed with 3/4 cup warm milk
- 3/4 c
- vegetable oil
- 1 tsp
- 3 stick
- unsalted butter, softened
- 6 c
- powdered sugar
- 1/4-1/2 c
- 1 1/2 tsp
- peppermint extract
- peppermint bark (homemade or bought) broken into pieces
How to Make Hot Chocolate Cupcakes with Peppermint Buttercream
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- 2In bowl of stand mixer (or a large bowl with a hand mixer) combine dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 3Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients: eggs, hot chocolate/milk mixture, vegetable oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until well combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- 4Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter. Bake for 16 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to finish cooling. Once cupcakes are completely cool frost with Peppermint Buttercream and garnish with Peppermint Bark (if desired).
- 5FOR BUTTERCREAM: In a large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Gradually add in confectioner’s sugar one cup at a time, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Add milk until you reach desired consistency. Add peppermint extract and mix well.
If desired, place icing in piping bag fitted with a large round tip and frost cupcakes, or just frost as desired. You can also use a ziploc bag with the corner snipped off if you don't have a piping bag.