Homemade Angel Food Cake
Recipe is not original with me, it is an old recipe that was handed down.
This recipe brings back such great memories! I used to make a similar cake for my grandfather each year on his birthday. I would ice it and then coat it with coconut that I had colored red, in honor of his December birth. It was his absolute favorite... and this recipe tastes just like it to me! Fond memories of a great man and a great cake. Thanks, Cindy!
- egg whites
- 2 tsp
- cream of tartar
- 1 pinch
- 1 1/2 c
- splenda (or sugar)
- 1 c
- cake flour
- 1/2 c
- confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp
- pure vanilla
- (can also add a teaspoon of almond extract if you like)
How to Make Homemade Angel Food Cake
- 1Preheat oven to 350 dF.
- 2Sift cake flour and confectioners sugar together 5 times and set aside.
- 3In a large clean bowl, whip egg whites with a pinch of salt until foamy.
- 4Add cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- 5Gradually add sugar while beating, and continue to beat until very stiff. Add vanilla.
- 6Quickly fold in flour mixture, continuing to stir as to avoid lumps.
- 7Pour into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan (or bundt pan).
- 8Bake at 350 dF for 45 minutes.
- 9Invert pan onto a longnecked bottle to cool completely before removing from pan (or may be inverted on a cooling rack to cool).
- 10Cake may be glazed, frosted or left as is to enjoy.
It's good just cut and pour sweetened fruit over slices, top with fresh whipped cream and a dusting of powdered sugar.