Homemade Angel Food Cake
Straws Kitchen(*o *)
Recipe is not original with me, it is an old recipe that was handed down.
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This recipe brings back such great memories! I used to make a similar cake for my grandfather each year on his birthday. I would ice it and then coat it with coconut that I had colored red, in honor of his December birth. It was his absolute favorite... and this recipe tastes just like it to me! Fond memories of a great man and a great cake. Thanks, Cindy! The Test Kitchen
2 tspcream of tartar
1 1/2 csplenda (or sugar)
1 ccake flour
1/2 cconfectioners' sugar
1 1/2 tsppure vanilla
·(can also add a teaspoon of almond extract if you like)
How to Make Homemade Angel Food Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 dF.
- Sift cake flour and confectioners sugar together 5 times and set aside.
- In a large clean bowl, whip egg whites with a pinch of salt until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar while beating, and continue to beat until very stiff. Add vanilla.
- Quickly fold in flour mixture, continuing to stir as to avoid lumps.
- Pour into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan (or bundt pan).
- Bake at 350 dF for 45 minutes.
- Invert pan onto a longnecked bottle to cool completely before removing from pan (or may be inverted on a cooling rack to cool).
- Cake may be glazed, frosted or left as is to enjoy.
It's good just cut and pour sweetened fruit over slices, top with fresh whipped cream and a dusting of powdered sugar.