High-Ratio Chocolate Cake
Jordan Michelle Falco
These recipes are copied directly from the notes of my Basic Cakes class. I’m posting them here on Just a Pinch for my own posterity. Feel free to round the fractional measurments up or down (5/8 is just as good as 1/2)
How to Make High-Ratio Chocolate Cake
- Soft togeather the cake flour, cocoa powder, salt, making powder, and baking soda and add to the mixing bowl.
- Add the emulsified shortening t the dry ingredients and cream with the paddle for 2 minutes on low speed.
- Scrape down the bowl and the paddle.
- Mix for another 2 minutes on low speed.
- Gradually add the first quantity of milk alternatly with the sugar and mix on low speed for 3 minutes.
- Scrape down the bowl.
- Combine the second quantity of milk and the eggs and add in three stages, mixing for a total of 5 minutes on low speed.
- Deposit 1 lb 3 oz of batter per 8 inch cake pan, which has been sprayed and papered.
- Bake at 335F in a convection oven for about 30 to 35 minutes.