Hawaiian Sunset Cake
*Be sure to add cooling time for cake layers and, some chill time to finished cake, to the alloted prep and bake times for a true measure of time required.*
1 pkgwhite or orange cake mix
1 1/2 cmilk
1 pkg(3.4 oz) instant vanilla pudding mix
1 pkg(3 oz) orange gelatin
1/2 coil (vegetable or canola)
10 ozflaked coconut
1 csour cream
20 ozcrushed pineapple, drained
8 ozcool whip, thawed
How to Make Hawaiian Sunset Cake
- Combine first 6 ingredients. Mix well.
- Pour into 3 greased and floured 9 inch pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the middle of cake comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pans before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- Combine sugar, coconut, sour cream and pineapple in a large bowl and mix well until sugar completely dissolves. Reserve 1 cup of this mixture and set it aside.
- Place 1 layer of cake on your serving dish and top with 1/3 of pineapple mixture. Repeat with remaining layers topping each with 1/3 of pineapple mixture.
- Fold reserved portion of pineapple mixture into thawed Cool Whip. Use this to frost top and sides of the cake. Keep finished cake refrigerated.