Halloween Chocolate Cake
- 6 oz
- 1 hershey's milk chocolate bar , broken into pieces
- 1 c
- boiling water
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 2 tsp
- baking soda
- 1 3/4 c
- 1/2 c
- (1 stick) butter or margarine , softened
- 1/2 c
- hershey's cocoa
- 2 c
- all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c
- dairy sour cream
- orange frosting (recipe follows)
- chocolate coated ice cream cone (recipe follows)
- decorator's frosting (recipe follows
- the ingredients for the orange frosting, choc. coated cone & the decorator's frosting i have added below.
How to Make Halloween Chocolate Cake
- 1Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 12-cup fluted tube pan.
- 2Stir together chocolate bar pieces, butter and water in medium bowl until chocolate is melted. Stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt in large bowl; gradually add butter mixture, beating until well blended. Add eggs, sour cream and vanilla; beat on medium speed 1 minute. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- 3Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely.
- 4Meanwhile, prepare CHOCOLATE COATED ICE CREAM CONE. Place 1 cup HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips and 1 tablespoon shortening (don't use butter, margarine,) in small microwave-safe bowl.Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, just until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred. Spoon melted chocolate over outside of flat-bottom ice cream cone. Refrigerate cone until chocolate is firm, about 30 minutes.
Once chocolate is set on cone, place ice cream cone into center of cake for pumpkin stem.
- 5ORANGE FROSTING: Place 1/3 cup butter or margarine in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1 minute or until melted. Stir in 2 cups powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange peel and 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract. Stir in 2 to 4 tablespoons hot water for desired consistency. Stir in red and yellow food color for desired color. Drizzle ORANGE FROSTING over cake.
- 6Decorator's frosting: Cream a 1/4 cup real butter & 1/4 cup shortening, then add 3/4 tsp of vanilla extract. Slowly add 2 1/2 cups of confectioners sugar beating on medium speed. Add milk 1 1/2 to 2 Tbls. of milk 1/2 tbs at a time and beat on high until completely blended. Add green food color, blend. Using leaf decorating tip, pipe leaves onto 'pumpkin' with the DECORATOR FROSTING.