Green Velvet Cake
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk, well shaken
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon green liquid food coloring
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
How to Make Green Velvet Cake
- 1Preheat the oven to 375º F. Butter three 8-inch round cake pans, line with parchment; butter the parchment and set aside. Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; set aside. Whisk the buttermilk, food coloring and vanilla in a spouted measuring cup; set aside.
- 2Beat the granulated sugar and butter in a stand mixer (or a large bowl if using a hand mixer) on medium speed until very light in color and fluffy, about 5 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. With the mixer still running, slowly add the eggs and beat until fully incorporated.
- 3Reduce the mixer speed to the lowest speed; with it running, add one-third of the flour mixture, then ½ of the buttermilk mixture, then ½ of the remaining flour mixture, then the remaining buttermilk mixture, then the remaining flour mixture. Scrape down the sides and beat until well mixed.
- 4Divide the batter evenly among the three prepared pans. Bake until slightly puffed and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes in the pan, then turn out to a wire rack and cool completely.
- 5Frost with prepared cream cheese or butter cream frosting. Decorate with green candies and/or sanding sugar, optional.