Great-grandmother Montgomery's Cake
★★★★★ 2 votes5
- 2/3 c
- butter or vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 c
- 1 c
- 1-2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 2 c
- all purpose flour
How to Make Great-grandmother Montgomery's Cake
- 1Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare pans by greasing and flouring 3 round cake pans.
- 2Blend the butter or shortening with the sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
- 3Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- 4Blend baking powder and AP flour together and set aside.
- 5Add milk, alternately with the flour mixture. When completely mixed, add the vanilla and mix well.
- 6Evenly divide the batter into the 3 prepared pans, and bake in a 350 degree oven for 12-18 minutes, depending on your oven, until the layers separate from the edges and are lightly browned, and are definitely done in the center. Cool 15 minutes and then remove layers to wire racks to cool. Use your favorite icing.
- 7Note: This is the basic cake, but it can be made into a chocolate cake, coconut cake, minced meat, spice, etc., just through the addition of those items.