Granny's Apple Cake
Blue Ribbon Recipe
What a yummy, moist cake. AND it's easy to make. Added bonus... your kitchen will smell great while this is cooking! The Test Kitchen
3granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/8 tspallspice, ground
1 tspground cinnamon
1/2 cgolden raisins, (optional)
3 cself rising flour
2 cgranulated sugar
1 ccanola oil
2 tspvanilla extract
1/4 corange juice
How to Make Granny's Apple Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a tube pan or bundt pan.
- Peel, core and slice the apples. Mix 6 TBSP sugar, 1 tsp. ground cinnamon and a pinch of allspice. Toss apples in sugar/spice mixture. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together self rising flour, salt and 2 cups of sugar. Stir in oil, eggs, vanilla and orange juice. Fold in raisins if desired.
- Pour 1/2 of cake batter into prepared pan. Spoon 1/2 of apple mixture over batter. Spoon remaining batter over apples. Arrange the apples that are left over the top of batter.
- Bake for 70 minutes or until cake tests done with toothpick. Cool cake in pan on a baker's rack for 10 minutes. Loosen and gently remove cake from pan and finish cooling. The top layer of apples should show face up. Store loosely covered at room temperature.