Grandma's Fresh Apple Cake
★★★★★ 2 votes5
3 cchopped apples, granny smith, or your favorite baking apple.
1 cchopped nuts, either walnuts or pecans. may be omitted.
1 cvegetable shortening, or half butter and half shortening.
2 1/2 call purpose flour
2 tspbaking powder
1 tspbaking soda
How to Make Grandma's Fresh Apple Cake
- Grease and flour a 9 X 12 X 3 pan and set aside.
- Peel and chop apples. You may add 1 tsp. of lemon juice to the apples to prevent browning. Chop nuts. Set aside.
- Cream together the shortening and sugar. Add the eggs and combine.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture a little at a time. Fold in the 3 cups of apples and the chopped nuts. The batter will be STIFF!
- Place in the greased and floured pan. You will need to use a spoon or your hands to push the batter evenly into the pan. Don't worry, it will come out beautifully even though it looks lumpy!
- Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Cake is done when it is nicely browned and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on a rack. This cake is delicious served warm with ice cream! Let it cool a bit first though. It also travels well, allow it to cool completely.