Grandma's Fresh Apple Cake
- 3 c
- chopped apples, granny smith, or your favorite baking apple.
- 1 c
- chopped nuts, either walnuts or pecans. may be omitted.
- 1 c
- vegetable shortening, or half butter and half shortening.
- 3 c
- 2 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 tsp
- baking soda
- 1/2 tsp
How to Make Grandma's Fresh Apple Cake
- 1Grease and flour a 9 X 12 X 3 pan and set aside.
- 2Peel and chop apples. You may add 1 tsp. of lemon juice to the apples to prevent browning. Chop nuts. Set aside.
- 3Cream together the shortening and sugar. Add the eggs and combine.
- 4In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, soda and salt.
- 5Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture a little at a time. Fold in the 3 cups of apples and the chopped nuts. The batter will be STIFF!
- 6Place in the greased and floured pan. You will need to use a spoon or your hands to push the batter evenly into the pan. Don't worry, it will come out beautifully even though it looks lumpy!
- 7Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Cake is done when it is nicely browned and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- 8Allow to cool on a rack. This cake is delicious served warm with ice cream! Let it cool a bit first though. It also travels well, allow it to cool completely.