GRANDMA WILLIE'S PRIZE WINNING DEVIL,S FOOD CAKE
2 1/2 can(s)all purpose flour or cake flour
1 3/4 csugar
1 3/4 tspbaking soda
2/3 cshortening ( at room temperature)
1 1/3 cmilk
3squares baker's unsweerened chocolate melted and cooled
How to Make GRANDMA WILLIE'S PRIZE WINNING DEVIL,S FOOD CAKE
- Sift flour with sugar, soda, and salt. Stir shortening to soften.
- Add flour mixture, 1 cup milk, and vanilla mix until flour is dampened. Then beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer or 300 vigorous strokes by hand.
- Add eggs, melted chocolate and remaining 1/3 cup milk beat 1 minute longer with mixer or 150 strokes by hand.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9 inch layer pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees about 30 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
- Cool 10 minutes in pans, remove from pans and cool thoroughly on racks.
- This cake may also be baked at 350 degrees in three 8 inch layer pans about 30 minutes.