Grandma Schultz' Apple Kuchen
- 1 1/4 c flour
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/2 c butter, sliced in small squares right from the frig
- the yolks of 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 t milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4-5 macintosh apples, peeled, and sliced
- 3 t flour
- 3/4 c sugar
- 3/4 t cinnamon
- 2 to 3 tablespoons butter, cut up
TOPPING OR STREUSEL
How to Make Grandma Schultz' Apple Kuchen
- 1With clean hands mix together flour, salt, baking powder, sugar and butter in a large bowl
- 2In a seperate smaller bowl beat egg yolks and add vanilla and milk and mix well
- 3Add the wet mix to the dry mix and stir just till blended together
- 4Spray a glass baking pan with non stick spray and then press dough into bottom of this. (the larger the pan the thinner the crust)
- 5Place apple slices on the dough in the pan. Scatter them about so that you get apples in every bite.
- 6Mix together the topping ingredients in yet another bowl and combine with your hands until crumbly
- 7Sprinkle this over the apples and the crust in the baking pan.
- 8Bake in preheated oven (325 degrees) for 40 to 50 minutes or until done.
- 9Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream and enjoy!