Grandma Rodocker's Old Fashioned Ice Box Cake
Thanks Toni for inspiring me to make this cake.
- 2 pkg
- bar type coconut macaroon cookies, the kind with ridges on the tops. (i found them at a dollar tree store, they are just like the ones my mom used when she made this cake)
- envelope, knox unflavored gelatin *see note
- 1/2 c
- boiling water
- 1/2 c
- cold water
- 1/2 c
- pecans, finely chopped
- 1 tsp
- 1 c
- egg whites, beaten stiff, *see note
- 1 pt
- whipping cream, whipped
- 1 c
- white grapes, peeled and cut in half
- 1. when my mom would make this cake the cake was kind of weepy. to help prevent the weeping add an extra tsp. of gelatin along with the one envelope of gelatin.
- 2. if using raw egg whites is an issue, wilton's meringue powder can be used in place of the egg whites. 2 tsp. meringue powder + 2 tbsp. water = 1 egg white. just measure the amount of meringue powder and water to equal 6 egg whites and beat until
- stiff peaks form.
How to Make Grandma Rodocker's Old Fashioned Ice Box Cake
- 1Place gelatin in large bowl, add 1/2 c. boiling water, stir until dissolved. Add sugar, stir until dissolved. Add cold water, stir. Set aside to cool.
When I added the extra tsp. of gelatin and after setting aside, the gelatin had set up. I just placed it in the microwave for a few seconds on defrost to soften it just a bit.
- 2Using a springform pan, place a good size piece of foil on bottom and run it up and around the sides of the pan. (The filling will weep slightly, this will keep it from leaking into the refrigerator.)
- 3Line the sprinform pan with whole cookies (stand cookies on end all the way around the inside edge of pan with ridges facing outward; set aside.
If using an angelfood type springform pan, line the cookies around the center tube that forms the hole also.
- 4Crush 2nd package of cookies into fine crumbs; set aside.
- 5Chop pecans, until finely chopped; set aside.
- 6Peel grapes and cut in half, removing any visible seeds; set aside.
- 7Beat whipping cream, place in fridge until needed.
- 8Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, add vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form.
- 9To gelatin mixture, add chopped pecans and peeled grapes. Fold beaten egg whites and whipped cream into gelatin mixture. Gently folding until throughly combined, while being careful not to deflate mixture.
- 10Spoon into prepared springform pan. Smooth out top and sprinkle cookie crumbs on top.
- 11Cover top with foil. Place in coldest part of fridge for at least 24 hrs.
- 12To serve, remove foil. Remove springform ring, being careful not to disturb cookies. Each cookie is a slice of cake.