Grandma Rodocker's Old Fashioned Ice Box Cake
Thanks Toni for inspiring me to make this cake.
2 pkgbar type coconut macaroon cookies, the kind with ridges on the tops. (i found them at a dollar tree store, they are just like the ones my mom used when she made this cake)
1envelope, knox unflavored gelatin *see note
1/2 cboiling water
1/2 ccold water
1/2 cpecans, finely chopped
6egg whites, beaten stiff, *see note
1 ptwhipping cream, whipped
1 cwhite grapes, peeled and cut in half
Notes:1. when my mom would make this cake the cake was kind of weepy. to help prevent the weeping add an extra tsp. of gelatin along with the one envelope of gelatin.
·2. if using raw egg whites is an issue, wilton's meringue powder can be used in place of the egg whites. 2 tsp. meringue powder + 2 tbsp. water = 1 egg white. just measure the amount of meringue powder and water to equal 6 egg whites and beat until
·stiff peaks form.
How to Make Grandma Rodocker's Old Fashioned Ice Box Cake
- Place gelatin in large bowl, add 1/2 c. boiling water, stir until dissolved. Add sugar, stir until dissolved. Add cold water, stir. Set aside to cool.
When I added the extra tsp. of gelatin and after setting aside, the gelatin had set up. I just placed it in the microwave for a few seconds on defrost to soften it just a bit.
- Using a springform pan, place a good size piece of foil on bottom and run it up and around the sides of the pan. (The filling will weep slightly, this will keep it from leaking into the refrigerator.)
- Chop pecans, until finely chopped; set aside.
- Peel grapes and cut in half, removing any visible seeds; set aside.
- Beat whipping cream, place in fridge until needed.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, add vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form.