Gooey Butter Cake
How to Make Gooey Butter Cake
- 1Preheat oven to 350º. Lightly grease a 13 x 9 pan.
- 2With a mixer, combine the cake mix, egg and butter and mix well. Pat into the bottom of the prepared pan and set aside.
- 3Still using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla. Add powdered sugar and mix well. Pour in the butter and mix well again.
- 4Pour filling onto cake mixture and spread evenly. Bake for 40-50 minutes. You want the center to be a little gooey, so don't bake it past that point.
- 5Remove from oven and allow to cook completely. Cut into squares.
- 6Lemon Gooey: Use a lemon cake mix in place of the yellow cake. Add the juice (approximately 1/4 cup) and zest of 2 lemons to the cream cheese filling. Proceed as directed above.
Peanut Butter Gooey: Use a chocolate cake mix. Add 1 cup creamy peanut butter and an extra egg to cream cheese filling. Proceed as directed above.
Chippy Gooey: Stir 1 cup white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, or Heath bits into filling. Proceed as directed above.