Golden State Fruit Cake
1 cblanced toasted almonds
1 ctoasted skinned hazelnuts
1 cchopped dried apricots
1 cchopped golden raisins
2 Tbspgrated orange rind
2/3 call-purpose flour
3/4 cgranulated sugar
2 Tbspbutter or margarine
·powdered sugar, optional
How to Make Golden State Fruit Cake
Toast hazelnuts for 10 minutes at 350 degrees until skins crack and flake. Place the hazelnuts in a towel and rub off the skins.
- Prepare nuts and coarsely chop. Place the nuts in with the apricots, orange rind, flour and cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
- Butter loaf pans or cake pan. Line bottom and sides with parchment paper. Butter paper.
- Heat the honey, sugar and butter over medium heat in a heavy saucepan. Stir constantly until syrup reaches 242 degrees to 248 degrees. Quickly pour syrup into nut mixture. Mix thoroughly and spoon into pans.
- If using loaf pans bake at 300 degrees for 25 minutes. If using the cake pan, bake at 300 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes. Please note the cake will not be firm until it cools.
- Cool cake on rack and invert onto waxed paper. Peel off the parchment paper and dust with powdered sugar if desired.