Glazed Pear Shortcake
Rev BJ Friley
Equally at home at breakfast, coffee time or after dinner, this simple cake can be assembled in less than 15 minutes. Baking time is about 45 minutes.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 can(s)(16 oz.) sliced bartlett pears in syrup
1 3/4 call purpose flour
1/2 cplus 2 tbsp. sugar
1 3/4 tspbaking powder
6 Tbspbutter, unsalted
2/3 cwhipping cream
How to Make Glazed Pear Shortcake
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease and flour an 8-inch round cake pan.
- Drain the pears.
- Pat dry the pears with paper towels.
- Reserve the syrup.
- Stir flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl until blended.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Pour the milk over the flour mixture.
- Toss with a fork just until blended. Do not over mix.
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan.
- Smooth top.
- Arrange pears over batter in circular pattern.
- Brush with some of the reserved syrup.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake at 400 degrees F until wooden toothpick inserted in center of cake is withdrawn clean and top is golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool 15 minutes.
- Brush with reserved syrup.
- Invert cake onto plate.
- Remove pan.
- Return to upright position on wire rack.
- Cool until serving time.
- Cut into wedges.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream, flavored with ground cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Or substitute ice cream (vanilla or peach) for the whipped cream.