Glazed Pear Shortcake
Rev BJ Friley
Equally at home at breakfast, coffee time or after dinner, this simple cake can be assembled in less than 15 minutes. Baking time is about 45 minutes.
- 1 can(s)
- (16 oz.) sliced bartlett pears in syrup
- 1 3/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/2 c
- plus 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 3/4 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/4 tsp
- 6 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted
- 3/4 c
- 1 tsp
- 2/3 c
- whipping cream
How to Make Glazed Pear Shortcake
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Grease and flour an 8-inch round cake pan.
- 3Drain the pears.
- 4Pat dry the pears with paper towels.
- 5Reserve the syrup.
- 6Stir flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl until blended.
- 7Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- 8Pour the milk over the flour mixture.
- 9Toss with a fork just until blended. Do not over mix.
- 10Spoon batter into the prepared pan.
- 11Smooth top.
- 12Arrange pears over batter in circular pattern.
- 13Brush with some of the reserved syrup.
- 14Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- 15Bake at 400 degrees F until wooden toothpick inserted in center of cake is withdrawn clean and top is golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- 16Transfer to wire rack to cool 15 minutes.
- 17Brush with reserved syrup.
- 18Invert cake onto plate.
- 19Remove pan.
- 20Return to upright position on wire rack.
- 21Cool until serving time.
- 22Cut into wedges.
- 23Serve with a dollop of whipped cream, flavored with ground cinnamon or nutmeg.
- 24Or substitute ice cream (vanilla or peach) for the whipped cream.