Ginger Carrot Cake
★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 call purpose flour
2 tspbaking powder
1/2 tspbaking soda
3 cfinely shredded carrots
3/4 ccooking oil
3/4 cmixed dried fruit bits
2 tspgrated fresh ginger or 3/4 tsp. ground giner
1recipe orange-cream cheese frosting, recipe below.
1 cfinely chopped pecans, toasted if desired.
How to Make Ginger Carrot Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9 x 1 1/2-inch round cake pans. Set aside. Note: I use Bakers Joy with great results.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs; stir in carrots, oil, dried fruit bits, and ginger. Stir this egg mixture in the flour mixture. Do not over mix. Pour this into the set aside prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- Prepare the Orange Cream Chees Frosting and press chopped pecans onto top and sides of cake.
- Cover loosely and store cake or leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Orange-Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine: two 3-oz. packages cream cheese. Note: I use one 8 oz. package. softened to room temp. 1/2 cup butter, also softened, and 1 TBSP. apricto brandy or orange juice. Beat on medium speed with mixer until very smooth. Gradually add 2 cups sifted powdered sugar, beating until very smooth. Gradually beat in enough of an additional 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 cups sifted powdered sugar to make nice spreading consistency. Stir in 1/2 tsp. finely shredded orange peel. Frost cool cake and finish with the chopped pecans pressed into cake if desired.