German Beer Coffee Cake, Over a 100 year old recipe
Nancy J. Patrykus
For several years,guests at Babens kaffeeklatsches urged her to submit this moist and crunchy cake to Silver Spoon.
But she was reluctant to let out the ancestral recipe.
"Family means a lot to me," she says, and this has been a family secret for more than 100 years!
Luckily Baben, who lives in Boon, No. Carolina, finally did part with her treasure. "It freezes well, but it also keeps almost forever at room temperature if you stick two slices of bread over the cut ends with toothpicks," she says.
- 3 c
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- each allspice and ground cloves
- 2 c
- chopped dates
- 1 c
- chopped walnuts
- 1 c
- butter, softened
- 2 c
- packed dark brown sugar
- 2 c
- powdered sugar optional
- rum butter spread optional- recipe to follow
How to Make German Beer Coffee Cake, Over a 100 year old recipe
- 1Mix first 4 items in a bowl, set aside. Then Combine dates and nuts,stir in small amount of flour mixture to coat,set aside. In a large bowl cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add flour mixture alternately with beer, blending well. Stir in dates and nuts.
Pour into a well-greased and floured 12 cup fluted tube pan. Bake in a pre-heated 350 oven. 1 hour and 15 minutes. Cool in the pan 10 minutes. then turn out on a rack to cool completely. Wrap in foil, and let stand 24 hours before serving. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- 2Optional: Rum butter spread. Whip 1/2 cup softened butter with 2 Tablespoons rum till light and fluffy.
Rum extract can be used.
- 3THANK YOU, Baben P. for sharing
your treasured recipe. Nancy P.