Fresh Strawberry Cake
1 1/2 cwhite sugar
1 boxstrawberry flavored gelatin, 3oz
2 1/2 stickbutter, softened, divided
4 largeeggs, separated, room temperature
3/4 csour cream, room temperature
1 cpureed strawberries, fresh or frozen, divided
1 1/2 cwhole buttermilk, room temperature
3 ccake flour
1 tspbaking powder
1 tspbaking soda
1 tsppure vanilla extract
2 tspstrawberry extract, divided
1 pkgcream cheese, room temperature
4 cpowdered sugar, sifted
How to Make Fresh Strawberry Cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour three 9" round cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 sticks butter, gelatin, and sugar. Beat on high speed until fluffy.
- Reduce speed to medium. Add egg yolks one at at time, beating well after each addition.
- Add sour cream. Mix well.
- Add vanilla extract and one teaspoon strawberry extract. Reserve one tablespoon pureed stawberries and add rest to mixture. Mix well.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to strawberry mixture alternating with buttermilk begining and ending with flour mixture. Mix until just combined after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into batter until fully combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake for 25 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool layers in pans for 10 minutes then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl add cream cheese, remaining 1/2 stick butter, remaining tablespoon strawberries, and remaining teaspoon strawberry extract. Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Turn mixer down and slowly add powdered sugar. Mix on medium low until combined then turn mixer to high and whip for two minutes.
- Spread frosting onto cooled cake layers. Slice any leftover strawberries and garnish top and/or sides. Keep cake refrigerated until ready to serve. Store leftovers in refrigerator.