Fresh Apple Upside Down Cake
- 3/4 c
- butter, softened and divided
- 2 c
- sugar, divided
- 3 large
- granny smith apples , peeled and cut into ½ inch thick slices
- 1 c
- chopped pecans, divided
- 2 large
- 1 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp
- ground cinnamon
- 1/2 c
How to Make Fresh Apple Upside Down Cake
- 1Melt ¼ cup butter in a 10 inch cast iron skillet over medium to medium high heat.
- 2Add 1 cup sugar and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes or until sugar is melted and begins to turn golden brown.
- 3Add apple slices, and continue to cook, stirring constantly for 5 minutes or until apples have softened and juices are thickened and syrupy.
- 4Remove from heat and sprinkle the apple mixture with ½ cups of pecans. Set aside.
- 5Beat the remaining ½ cup of butter at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add the remaining sugar, beating until smooth.
- 6Add eggs one at a time, beating until just blended with each additions.
- 7In another bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and cinnamon. Add to butter / sugar mixture alternating with milk, beating on low until well blended, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- 8Gently stir in the remaining ½ cup of chopped pecans. Spoon batter evenly over the apple mixture in the skillet.
- 9Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the skillet for 5 minutes. Invert cake onto a serving plate.
- 10This is awesome served warm, topped with ice cream and drizzled with caramel sauce.