Fresh Apple Upside Down Cake
3/4 cbutter, softened and divided
2 csugar, divided
3 largegranny smith apples , peeled and cut into ½ inch thick slices
1 cchopped pecans, divided
1 1/2 call purpose flour
1 tspbaking powder
1 1/2 tspground cinnamon
How to Make Fresh Apple Upside Down Cake
- Melt ¼ cup butter in a 10 inch cast iron skillet over medium to medium high heat.
- Add 1 cup sugar and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes or until sugar is melted and begins to turn golden brown.
- Add apple slices, and continue to cook, stirring constantly for 5 minutes or until apples have softened and juices are thickened and syrupy.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle the apple mixture with ½ cups of pecans. Set aside.
- Beat the remaining ½ cup of butter at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add the remaining sugar, beating until smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating until just blended with each additions.
- In another bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and cinnamon. Add to butter / sugar mixture alternating with milk, beating on low until well blended, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Gently stir in the remaining ½ cup of chopped pecans. Spoon batter evenly over the apple mixture in the skillet.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the skillet for 5 minutes. Invert cake onto a serving plate.
- This is awesome served warm, topped with ice cream and drizzled with caramel sauce.