FRESH APPLE CAKE WITH PRALINE ICING (sallye)
The cake is a tweaked version of my mother-in-law's apple cake, but I conjured up the icing myself based on my praline candy recipe.
You are going to love this cake.
5-6 mediumdelicious apples, coarsely chopped
1-1/2 ccanola or olive oil
2 largeeggs, slightly beaten
3 call purpose flour
1-1/2 tspbaking soda
1 cchopped pecans
ICING INGREDIENTS BELOW
2-1/2 cgranulated sugar
1 cchopped pecans
1/4 lbbutter (1 stick)
How to Make FRESH APPLE CAKE WITH PRALINE ICING (sallye)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease and flour bundt or tube pan
- Using medium speed on electric mixer, beat apples, sugar, oil and eggs together in a large mixing bowl, set aside for 30 minutes.
Leave apples chunky.
NOTE: You can use Granny Smith or other kinds of apples if desired
- Sift together flour, soda, salt, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl
Add pecans and stir to coat the pecans
- After apple mixture has set for 30 minutes, gradually add flour mixture to the apples, and mix well using low speed on electric mixer.
Leave the apples a little chunky.
Continue mixing as you stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour into bundt or tube pan, and cook for 55 minutes.
Test with toothpick inserted into thickest part of cake, if it comes out clean remove from oven; if not cook another ten minutes
Turn out from pan onto serving dish and cool
- Making icing:
Bring sugar and milk to a boil, stirring constantly.
When boiling, cease stirring and cook gently until a drop forms a soft ball when dropped in cold water
Remove from fire
Add butter and vanilla, cool ten minutes
Beat with electric mixer until creamy, add nuts and spread over cake
NOTE: This is a tricky icing, if it starts to get hard before you spread it, add warm milk by tablespoons until desired consistency for spreading. (it will set up again on cake within a few minutes.