★★★★★ 1 vote5
1/2 tspcream of tartar
1 1/2 csugar
1 tspvanilla extract
1/8 tspalmond extract
1red food coloring drops (change color for holiday seasons)
1 pkgfresh or frozen raspberries or strawberries
1 cheavy whipping cream or cool whip
·fresh mint leaves (opt)
How to Make Forgotten Torte
- About two hours before the overnight baking, place 6 egg whites in a large bowl and let stand to reach room temperature.
- Heat oven to 450. Butter only the bottom of 9" tube pan.
- When eggs have reached room temp add cream of tartar and salt. Beat with mixer until egg whites are foamy.
- Gradually add sugar, a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and almond extract and a few small drops of red food coloring. Continue beating until meringue forms stiff glossy peaks.
- Spread mixture evenly in tube pan or bundt pan.
- Place tube or bundt pan in pre-heated oven. TURN OFF HEAT IMMEDIATELY. Let stand in oven overnight. Next morning loosen edge of torte with a sharp thin knife and turn onto platter. Torte will settle a bit.
- To serve, frost torte with whipped heavy cream or cool whip. Top with raspberries or strawberries. I usually use raspberries and add fresh mint leaves